Thursday, December 21, 2006

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies

One eventually gets used to politicians and government officials being less than honest with their statements. However, I like to think that universities and their officials should hold and be held to higher standards.

A couple of weeks ago, a riot broke out at Yarmouk University. Following the riot, university officials claimed that the problems were the result of “reinforcements” brought in from outside the university, and that the original cause of the fight was personal problems between a few students. Other reports had cited disagreements over elections of student clubs.

Yesterday, the head of the Irbid police, ‘Ayed ‘Ajarmeh, basically called the officials of the university liars. He said that the police had known that trouble was brewing (over club elections), and that it had warned the university officials, who did nothing. He also said that police had taken precautions by preventing non-students from entry to the campus. Moreover, while the university had claimed to have given the police names of the outside troublemakers for prosecution, the university had in fact only given the police only two names of students who were previously expelled for academic reasons. Two names.

To me, university officials who lie are even more embarrassing than ones who are clueless as to what’s going on in their campus. In this case, they are one in the same. I wonder if there is anybody in charge who is as disgusted as I am.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well , we're used to the lies , but the good news is that ‘Ayed ‘Ajarmeh sounds like a decent guy who's trying to make a change , if it was someone else he would just ignore the whole thing

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Khalaf said...

Moh: I agree. I wonder if he will lose his job soon.

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have no comment on this great post, but I still cannot remember the name of the singer who used to sing "tell me lies..tell me sweet little lies" can you help?

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Khalaf said...

Hi Batir. It is Fleetwood Mac. You can listen to the song here.

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My music memory is getting rusty. That was one of my favourite songs in the 80s but I forgot the group. Thanks for the reminder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home