Monday, October 17, 2005

Electronic Agenda

Deputy prime minister and chair of the National Agenda Committee Marawan Muasher today announced (parts 1, 2 and 3) that the NA will be posted on the web for citizen's comments. I am wondering if this is really a way to get people's feedback, or simply good PR. In any case, you can count on your good friend Khalaf to give you his, ahm, humble opinion about this document. So fret not at the enormity of the massive 2500 page document. In my experience, the only parts which will need to be read will probably be about 100 pages, double spaced and 14 point font.
In the press conference, Muasher gave the usual goals that are typically fed to us by politicians. Everybody will be covered by health insurance, 600,000 jobs will be created, unemployment will be halved, incomes will be doubled and so forth. I guess that this is a tacit admission that the current economic/social approach will not lead to these goals. Presumably, economic policies will change from the business friendly (poor hostile) IMF based recipes to a more socially conscious approach which is more in sync with the needs of the common citizen. There is a hint of this in a statement about tax reform. I will believe it when I see it.
There are also a number of hints at more progressive social policies, such as indications that laws which affect women's rights will be reformed. Let's hope.
I will be back later when actual details are available.

5 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey khalaf,

Would you be kind enough to post the link once they publish it?

cheers,

Amr

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Khalaf said...

Hello Amr.

No problem.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger jameed, RPh, MS said...

I posted this on another blog, let me reiterate it here:

the Internet is only accessible (for various reasons) to select sections of the population. I highly doubt that an online debate about the NA will be representative of the majority of the citizens. it is good that the governemnt is making it available for debate but i think it is more of a PR move

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very intersting article can you please send me your email as to further discuss the issue...

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have just tried to access the report (it is nopw 2011) and the page does not exist any more - can you please let me know if you still have a copy, or where I can get one? Thanks!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home