Saturday, September 23, 2006

Ramadan is tomorrow

You can feel it in the streets, in the markets, at the ATM’s. Preparations are afoot. If you didn’t know that tomorrow was Ramadan, you would probably guess that people are preparing for a war or a natural disaster. Why else would they be stocking up on food, as it was going out of style? This behavior leads to inevitable price gouging.

The massive rush is causing rising of prices, as people stock up on meat, chicken, rice, vegetables and Pepsi. It is sad to think about how much of this food will go to waste, as so many families prepare iftar (breakfast) feasts that they feel they can eat while they are fasting, but discover they can’t during iftar. This year seems to be different, as I have actually never seen such irrational demand on food before Ramadan, proving that societal evolution does not follow a linear trend.

Anyway, I found some health tips for Ramadan which I hope will be useful. The biggest problems stem from changing food habits, salt imbalance and dehydration. A lot of testiness seen in Ramadan is probably the result of low blood sugar at the end of the day. Poor sleeping habits are also a problem.

I look forward to the day when Ramadan regains its spiritual meaning between Allah and Man, and sheds the herd behavior imposing consumerism and forced compliance. May God bless you and guide you to the correct path this Ramadan.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Khalaf, why do you people stock up on food? Do they think it will run out or something? Or do they not want to go shopping during the month?
Ramadan Kareem :)

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Khalah and Moi... I think it has become part of the tradition ... 7alawe, jibneh (lol, which reminds me, when I say jibneh, my nieces say, khallltoo! it's not jibneh; it's Jubna ... I am from Ramallah so it's jibneh :p)amar deen, dates (tammer) ... maybe it's all part of the excitment of welcoming Ramadan!

Kol 3am winto bkhair :)

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Khalaf said...

Moi: I think Iman probably has the answer. It is still illogical since buying food according to the normal schedule is a more sensible approach.

Iman: Don't forget the walnut (joze) gatayif :) Happy Ramadan!

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ramadan Kareem Khalaf :)

I stopped worrying about these irrational consuming habits, I now look at'em and smile, it's Ramadan, and at least this is the only consuming habit that is not imported from others :) Add to that, this might be the only time where we Jordanians loose our frown... ;)

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Khalaf said...

Omar: I don't mind people indulging themselves, but I hate waste. I can't see how people gain by throwing food in the garbage.

Your comment about Jordanians losing their frown in Ramadan suggests that you don't drive a car. I think you will find that people are typically in an even worse mood than usual.

Anyway, Ramadan Kareem to you as well. I hope that you will not frown at all this month!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ramadan Kareem.

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no man, unfortunately I do drive all the time in Amman, but I was talking about the time when people are inside the supermarkets 'consuming' (away from the cashier), they become too busy to frown, that's all. Anyways, drive safely it's a war out there in Ramadan, ma enta 3aref, el wa7ad fehom bekon sayem w 3ayef deno, ;)

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I know this blog is about Ramadan and its meaning. I'm a student researching the food habits of Jordanians. If you don't mind my probing for information, can you please answer on the average how often Jordanians frequent restaurants, fast food places, etc--which ones the most? thanks for your consideration and any help you can give me.

 
At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

salam alaikum
i'm from u.s.a but i'm jordanian ireally missed all the years i spent in jordan

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hallo all , and kol 3am o into b5er congrats for ramadan !!! enjoy it

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Mehwis Malik said...

Your blog is Owsome. This is very nice and informative blog. Ramadan Dua Day 15

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Elena S said...

Yes Ramadan is not today it will be tommrow on 07 May 2019, thanks to inform us.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Pakistan Updates said...

This is a great inspiring article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information.
WASA Water Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home