Saturday, September 13, 2008

How can I quit?

After reading something like this, it is just too difficult. So Al Shahed reported last week that former prime minister Ali Abu Ragheb took 600,000 dinars from the treasury in the final hours before he left office. Not missing a beat, deputy Ali Dala’in sent an inquiry to the government to ask if this was true and what the money was for. Abu Ragheb refused to comment, saying that it was the job of the current PM to answer.

So, the official answer was that the money was actually withdrawn from the treasury. According to the government response, the money was to “pay those who ensured the oil supply”. The article accompanying the answer implied that the money was distributed to government employees who were charged with this task.

Huh?

I use the term implied on purpose because the answer itself could mean that the money was used to bribe somebody. Anyway, you choose the image: either Abu Ragheb on a park bench with dark glasses and a newspaper over his face and a briefcase on his side, waiting for somebody to tell him that the “merchandise” has been delivered or an image of Abu Ragheb distributing fat plain brown envelopes to happy high level employees who had taken their valuable time to go to Iraq or Saudi Arabia. Presumably, this was a difficult task because, hey, 600,000 dinars is a lot of money.

Anyway, neither image conjures up a scene where Abu Ragheb asks for a receipt. This makes a third scene of Abu Ragheb opening a safe in his house to deposit bundles of cash just as likely.

And this, just as the government was convincing everybody that they are serious about fighting corruption. The government has been really tough. For example, the PM rescinded a tender which had been awarded by the ministry of public works for the “honorable housing” project. The award had been given to a company with ties to the minister, Sahel bin Abdulhadi Majali. The PM also rescinded a tender awarded by the Aqaba Special Economic Zone that had been awarded to the wife of the chief commissioner, Husni Abu Ghaida. Apparently, it is illegal to award yourself a government contract. Who knew? Both men are lucky in that they have clout, and so they still have their jobs. Same goes to Basem Awadallah, who may or may not be involved in human trafficking.

Unlucky is the president of Balqa Applied University Omar Rimawi and his deputies, who were taken handcuffed from their offices after being accused of unspecified administrative and financial improprieties. Either Rimawi is much more corrupt than Abu Ragheb, Majali, Abu Ghaida et al, or he is simply the whipping boy needed to atone for all of their sins اجت الدقه فيه!.

So, I had to get that off of my chest. I still might be away for a while, and I have not made any final decisions. To be truthful, the comments I received from you were deeply moving for me, and I appreciate them very much. I will probably be back, but I can’t say when or with what frequency.

Ciao for now!

19 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Blogger FadiMalian said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger FadiMalian said...

Khalaf, I do not know what to say! I was about to write a comment on the previous post then this one showed up. You can not belive how relieved it made me feel, at least there is hope.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but be sure that many enjoyed and benefited from your analysis, and personally it helped shaping my opinion on many cases and always provided rich and deep information on cases that matter.

I will be checking your blog as I always do, at least once a week, and will keep hoping a post will show one day, at least when a case that makes it hard for you to keep silent, as this one.

Take care Khalaf, and be careful. My high respects and admiration.

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey, I saw this article and thought you'd like it:

http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge256.html

it discusses the psychology of voters between Republican & Democrat. But I think it's useful even in analyzing Jordanian voting mentality between Tribal, Religious, & Progressive camps.

I mention it on my blog, but don't have a lot there yet.
http://arrabi.blogspot.com/2008/09/psychology-of-liberals-vs-conservatives.html

hope you like it.
Muhammad

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Siwash said...

Khalaf- I recently started following your blog posts (around one month ago) and hope that you continue to enlighten us, especially one like myself who is an expatriate in Dubai, but who wants to know more about his country and its politics. Hope that you get re-energized and continue to post.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Ramos said...

khalaf,
its great that ur back!

I really need an email or a contact number for you as a i am preparing a show on the status of blogging in Jordan and i think you will be a great guest speaker on the phone for about 5 -10 min tomorrow Monday at 10:30 in the morning. the radio station is Ammannet , Radio Al Balad 92.4 fm .
It will be great if you send me an email with a way to contact u on reem@ammannet.net
Thank you so much and i hope that you will be able to spare us 10 min of ur time tomorrow mornign!
Reem

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

khalaf,

You're posts have been enlightening and unique. It would be a great loss to have you stop blogging, even if it was once a month.

Please continue your remarkable work.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger emfeisal said...

Khalaf,

I think your blog is great! I am very glad that you decided not to quit.

emfeisal

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Ali Dahmash said...

I welcome you back temproraly ;)) But our world is so corrupted and screwed that we can't just sit quiet and do nothing about it. By the way, I posted a campaign about the Hate DVD distributed in the US (http://alidahmash.blogspot.com/2008/09/obsession-with-hate.html) appreciate if you can do the same

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Khalaf it's good to have you back!
Don't change your mind about blogging its really important what you are doing =)
p.s. I am a journalist and I need to contact you (can't find your e-mail - can you please e-mail me at serene.alahmad@gmail.com please?)

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Alysha said...

Hi Khalaf,

I am an American student who spent last spring studying in Amman. I'm back in the U.S. now but am working on a thesis that concerns the state's evolving relationship with the East Bank tribal leaders in light of the economic reforms that were started in the late 1980's and early 1990's, continuing through the present day. I remember coming across your blog when I was in Jordan and thinking how very insightful and straightforward it was. It is often hard to find the type of information I am looking for openly discussed! I am trying to research how the state continues to placate the tribal leaders in times of economic crisis--I saw that in the 1990's, the state launched a program of political liberalization, but since the 2003 Iraq War (which has prompted more times of economic hardship) it seems as though the state is becoming more authoritarian. If the government no longer has the same high level of external money coming in from foreign aid, etc., and the state is pursuing stimulation of the private sector and direct foreign investment, are they still transferring some sort of economic privileges to the tribal leaders? I am sorry if this is sounding convoluted in any way, but I thought you may be able to help. Thank you very much and please continue in your blogging!

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger 寶貝 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Andreea said...

hi Khalaf, i've just moved to Jordan from another country and have been trying to understand more about the country's politics, freedom of religion--or not, freedom of speech--or not, and in general, the attitude of the Jordanian people toward all this. i found your blog by chance and find it very interesting. thanks for all the postings! how come you've stopped writing?

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Firas said...

This is depressing, astounding, amazing, and uplifting all at the same time. Well done.

Consider me your newest subscriber.

Firas
(arabswho.com)

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Firas said...

Wow ... I just realized that this post is almost three years old. D'oh!

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...



thank you

سعودي اوتو

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wedding photographer in jaipur

Great post and very helpful for me.Thanks for share this post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home